My Blog List

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Poetry Month... yaaayy..

Among the dead, By: Karlie Keeney

As I descend the long path to the underworld
A blooming flower I see, I cannot look away
Forced to stare down at this evil beside me
The dew is wept to the cold ground
Falling from within, drowning my sorrows
I will support the majority, oppose the minority
For united we can do anything,
Divided we can conquer nothing
I am dead and forever will be
As I have to watch others around me
Struggling alone to live while I am among others
We can suffer together not in lonesome
Bound by a common thread
We are the dead, we are the fallen flowers
When one joins we comfort them
As they feel they have became a demon
They may now rest in peace in the newfound heaven

(17 lines)

Analysis of Poem using Literary and Rhetoric Techniques
-Line 1) I make use of an allusion by portraying the path leading to hell
-Line 2) Symbolism is used because flowers are normally thought of as a good and pretty thing where in the poem they are viewed as bad and evil
-Line 3) My diction of the poem is a very evil form of word choice where instead of praising flowers I am degrading them
-Line 4) The use of personification is used by saying "The dew wept to the cold ground" Flowers do release dew, but they do not weep the dew as a human like quality of crying
-Line 5) In this line I make use of irony because flowers have no emotions but yet I state "drowning my sorrows"
-Line 6) Antithesis is used in the form of  "I will support the majority, oppose the minority" I am using contrasting ideas or words used in a parallel structure.
-Line 7) Finally I use Inversion which is using an inverted order of words in a sentence "For united we can do anything, divided we can conquer nothing"

3 comments:

  1. This is like deep heavenlyness and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty depressing but it's really awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that using the flower in this negative symbolism is really surprising to the reader. It makes the poem thought provoking. You might experiment with another poem that sets up opposite imagery...maybe a life/death paring of poems? Just an idea...

    Your poem also makes me think about the cycle of life...that dead and decaying flowers and foilage do sort of "transform" into new life. This idea might make the image of "underground" or underworld into something life-giving. It's hard to explain, but maybe that is something a poem could perhaps capture?

    ReplyDelete