My Blog List

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Stunts and Bruises


Cheerleading. Most frequently known for the girls in short skirts who are the most blonde girls you know. Now this may be true but staying that cute and in shape is some hard work! We practice like any other team. Not saying we are a sports team, but our practices are hard! When we condition we condition like no other running around the track way to many times for me. Okay three to be exact.. but that’s enough to break a sweat for any girl. We don’t lift weights but we do lift people.
So call us whatever you want but we can kick some butt if we needed too. Bruises are in our daily vocabulary because we may lift them but we don’t always catch them. People do not associate the word cheerleading with “high risk” but essentially it is. Throughout my three years of high school cheerleading we’ve had broken clavicles, sprained tailbones, many broken fingers, and even some concussions thrown in there. Stunting in cheerleading is ranked one of the most dangerous activities to take part in. This is up in the top of the list with football! When that girl comes falling down from way up high your heart stops. You have no time to think, breath, or freak out. Your adrenaline starts pumping and your instincts jump in to take control. You just scramble to catch her with all you can even if that means you getting hurt. I have first-hand been the girl who took a blow to the chest just to save a team mate. Stunt goes up good, check. She’s in the air, check. She falls down not check. As the flyer comes catapulting down at me I absorb her fall into my chest. The flyer is okay but I am definitely not. I ended up have a fractured clavicle, for you that don’t know what that is it’s the two bones that go across your chest that look like chicken wings. My point, cheerleaders should get some credit too. We work our butts off to support our team and get hurt in the process. We do look good I will give you that one and trust me for some that takes work too. So just because we are loud and crazy come get crazy with us and yell alittle louder! “WE don’t lift weight, we just lift people, No big deal”

No comments:

Post a Comment