My Blog List

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

You will live on forever.. that's a promise i shall keep.


Drew Wall may be the single most inspirational person I have ever known.  I met him when I was in the first grade. He was the cute little kindergarten that we all wanted to play with. He was then just a normal elementary school child that blended in until his fifth grade year. He came back to school in a wheelchair and missing his hair. We all didn’t know what to say or think. As we came to terms with the idea of Drew without a leg we realized he is still the same person. Actually, he was a much stronger person. We continued growing up and I went to middle school and Drew slipped from my memory.

It was eight grade and I remember coming into the foyer of the school and drew would be sitting on the bench with his cargo shorts and fake leg saying hi to everyone who came in. I cannot shake this memory of Drew out of my head. Our school would have cancer benefits and many would go and we all knew of his situation but he survived and was going to be okay. Another time comes rolling around when Drew slipped from my memory.

Sophomore year I see a familiar kid walking up the stairs. It was Drew! He was doing great and still being proud of his leg. We said hi and continued on our ways for the day. I would see him every once in a while and give the casual wave but that was pretty much it. About a month ago I stopped and talked with Drew. We talked about how to stay strong and fight through anything in life. Later on in the month I was at University of Iowa hospitals for an appointment and I saw him. He was in a wheelchair with his mom pushing behind him. I see him and wave and he waves back. I was running late to an appointment so I didn’t stop to talk. I regret every day that I didn’t.

The next week I find out that he had passed away. I instantly break down. I have known this kid since I was seven and that one day that was my last chance to talk to him I didn’t stop to talk. I was consumed with the idea of helping him live on and to show everyone that it shouldn’t take a tragedy to see what we all need to bring us together.

Happiness got invited to sing at Drew’s funeral and that was one of the most moving things I have ever experienced. He made sure that everyone knew he wanted to show that we should care for each other and not morn over his loss of life. His favorite bible quote has stuck in my mind and will never leave. I vow to you Andrew Douglas Wall that you will never be forgotten and will always be remembered in my heart and many others for as long as we shall live.

Joshua 1:9- Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the lord your god will be with you wherever you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment