My Blog List

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Work, Work, Work!


Work, Work, Work! That’s all that I can think of when it is Christmas time. Working retail is such a painstakingly hard task to do in this time of year. People are late minute shopping, grumpy, and wanting what they want right away. This is all of the pressure that I do not enjoy. When I am at work constantly ringing people up and there is a line through the store of impatient people.

Before I began working in retail I didn’t think much of how the people who work in a store are affected. Now that I actually am in the realm of this working world it is insane! I have never realized how sloppy and disrespectful people can become. They don’t put clothes back the way they are folded and leave piles all over the floor. Dressing rooms left filled to the brim with clothes I now get the joy of putting away. The little kids are running all around the store knocking racks over and parents are oblivious to their child’s destruction they have caused. Since I have now been in the so called “industry” of retail I am very conscious of what I do when I am at a store. I always put my clothes back, be respectful to the cashier, and place things back where I have found them. Many believe that we are slaves of the store and all we have to do is wait hnd and foot on every person that comes into the store. This idea is so wrong! We do it to make the money and we do enjoy our jobs don’t get me wrong, but when people disrespect I get upset.

For example, one day I am working the cash wrap (cash register) and a costumer comes up. She would like to return an item, which we normally have no problems with. I begin the process of returning and realize the item has become a markdown. Thus letting the woman know that the price she will get for returning them is less than the paid amount. She became furious and angry. I proceed to try and remain calm but my blood starts boiling. My boss comes over and takes control, good thing she did because I was getting pretty steamed. After the lady had left I was told this is a daily routine for the woman to come in and return items. Ever since that day I have learned to keep calm under the tight pressures of the holiday seasons and daily work.

No comments:

Post a Comment