My Blog List

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Winter's beauty


Winter is the time of year full of snow, fruit cakes, and family. You are gathered by the fire and can drink hot cocoa. You bundle the kids up warm when you leave the house and dread having to scrape the windows in the morning. Snow days fill children’s minds and parent dread the idea of missing work. We all have experienced these feelings in our lifetime and know they are not pleasant. As the year rolls by and we come into fall we love the look of the leaves and the brisk air. As November slowly approaches into the year our mind slowly slips to the thought of the winter. We all feel that the fun is over and the beauty of the spring and fall will be covered by ugly brown muddy snow and the idea of looking like a marshmallow to leave the house. As humans we tend to overlook the little things that make this time of year as beautiful as any other time of year.

I always think back to that first time I remember experiencing snow. These magical flakes falling from the sky in pretty little patterns and could turn the ground into a blanket of white amazed me. I remember sticking my tongue out to catch the flakes and taste them, and the magic that came with them melting inside my mouth. My hair would be covered in little white flakes and I could get hot chocolate to drink. We could get days off school and stay home all day laying in a blanket waching movies. This was the magic that snow created for me when I was a little child.

As I have grown I still feel it is not winter without a snow and it is always as magical as the first time I had experienced it. Now my perception may have changed but I still get that same joy inside that can send tingles up your spine. I will run outside and spin in a circle in the snow and catch the flakes on my mouth. I will bundle up and go sledding and I will also lay on the couch snuggled in my blanket and I will drink my now Mocha or Frappuccino instead of my old hot chocolate.

In addition to the excitement of the snow I look at the beauty of it. All of the little flakes combining to make a larger picture for all of us to enjoy. How pretty a person can look in the snow with it falling on their face and how it can make you realize the feelings you have for them. You can survey the icicles and see that they are some work of magic to freeze in midair and help us see something beautiful out of them. The whole idea of winter can consume me. Yes, I do hate the cold and scrapping my window but I love to take the time and survey the blessing I have to be able to look around and enjoy the amazing gift we have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment