My Blog List

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Crime is pride


               
Think: all men make mistakes
But a good man yeilds when he
Knows his course is wrong,
And repairs the evil: The only
Crime is pride.

As I read through the expert shown above I get this overwhelming sense of depth behind the author’s purpose. On the surface it seems a commonly confusing statement that is normally made within poetry. I begin to then re-read the excerpt and something catches my eye. The purpose is being shown as the idea of personality. All humans make mistakes and you could say we “repair the evil” so we can continue on from the issue. The final line is where it hits me; they say that “the only crime is pride.”

                Pride; the state or feeling of being proud. When we all think of the word we instantly think of different experiences involving our sense of pride. In elementary school we are told to have pride in our country. We need to support our country and show how proud we are to be Americans. Pride is a characteristic many strive to achieve within a lifetime. As reading the poem we then are told that when we are involved in evil our only crime is pride. Granted we all do make mistakes but the logic or theory behind them but pride is nowhere near the ideals of evil.

                Throughout life I have made some mistakes, being the teenager I am. Throughout this time I have as Antigone has stated “yields” when I knew my course was wrong. Once a person has realized their mistakes they do try and “repair the evil”, depending on how severer the mistake may be. When committing mistakes never once did they relate back to idea of pride. The thought of the word itself makes me think in a positive manner.  I have been raised to think of myself and my family with pride. Along with my family I need to take pride in my country. If pride committed all evils in the world we would never be encouraged to be full of pride.

                On the opposite spectrum some have changed the meaning behind having pride. There is a fine line between having pride and being cocky with oneself. Some feel they partake in certain activities due to the feeling of so called pride in themselves to participate in them. Due to the lack of intelligence these people contain the thought of pride is swayed. For example, recently when the Boston Marathon Bombings occurred many wondered what their motivation was to harm so many innocent people. One man once caught alive was said to have said that he attacked the United States because he had so much pride in his home country to come attack us. It is completely logical to have pride in your country but to then go and attack another nation is taking it to another level.

                So in the end maybe pride can lead to overall conflict and crime. Maybe if we did not have so much pride in what we believe in we would avoid catastrophes. The definition of pride will be continuously changing until the world stops revolving around the sun. We cannot control the outcome but we can fix our evils and reduce our crime. The current definition still rains true to me. The idea of having pride in something you believe in is not evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment